Homeopathy Medicine for Pruritus
The patient reports with either generalized or local itching, may be of recent origin or it may have been there for a few days. Itching provokes scratching at times, till it bleeds. The skin is hot and at times there is red discolouration . this may be present with or without eruptions and with varying modalities. It is a case of PRURITUS.
It is present in a variety of conditions, such as scabies, atopic eczema, candidiasis, urticaria, insect bites, etc. It may be present in systemic conditions without obvious skin involvement, as seen in metabolic disease, malignant disease, haematological diseases, renal and liver diseases. It is frequently present in senile and psychogenic conditions, and drug reactions can also cause these symptoms.
Pruritus means itching. It can be associated with a number of disorders, including dry skin, skin disease, pregnancy, and rarely, cancer.
Without any other obvious skin changes, itchy skin is possible, but it can also be linked to:
- Bumps, spots or blisters
- Dry, cracked skin
- Leathery or scaly skin
The itching can occasionally be severe and last for a long time.
Skin irritation factors include:
- Skin conditions.Numerous skin conditions cause itching, such as hives, burns, scars, eczema, psoriasis, xerosis, and eczema (dermatitis).
- Internal diseases.In addition to thyroid issues, liver disease, kidney failure, iron deficiency anemia, thyroid issues, and some cancers, such as multiple myeloma and lymphoma, itchy skin can be a sign of an underlying illness.
- Nerve disorders.Itching can be a symptom of various neurological conditions, including shingles (herpes zoster), diabetes, pinched nerves, and multiple sclerosis.
- Psychiatric diseases.Anxiety, depression, and obsessive-compulsive disorder are a few psychiatric conditions that can result in itchy skin.
- Irritation and allergic reactions.Itchy skin may be brought on by irritation from wool, chemicals, soaps, or other materials; it may also be brought on by an allergic reaction to something, such as poison ivy, parasites, or cosmetics; or it may be brought on by certain medications, such as narcotic painkillers (opioids), which can cause itching.
- Pregnancy.Some women report having itchy skin during pregnancy.
It isn’t always possible to pinpoint the source of an itching.
Pruritus can affect anyone, but some groups are more prone than others, including:
- Asthmatics, eczema sufferers, hay fever sufferers, and seasonal allergy sufferers
- People with diabetes
- Those who have leukemia or lymphoma, as well as those who have HIV/AIDS and other cancers
- Pregnant women
- The elderly
Prolonged itching and scratching may increase the intensity of the itch, potentially resulting in skin injury, infection, and scarring. Chronic pruritus, or itchy skin that lasts longer than six weeks, can have an impact on your quality of life by interfering with sleep and causing anxiety or depression.
To accurately identify the cause of this pruritus, a thorough history, its onset, course, and severity must be taken. You should also look into any metabolic disorders and medications taken for other conditions. You should also note whether the patient has any allergies.
Sulphuris the first treatment that comes to mind if the skin is dry, scaly, unhealthy, burns when scratched, sensitive to air, wind, and washing, has pimply, pustular eruptions with cracks and excoriations on the folds, itches that are made worse by heat, varicose veins that ulcerate, rupture, and bleed, and redness of orifices.
When applied locally, sulfur has the ability to suppress constitutional eruptions in addition to being a powerful antiseptic and one of the most effective scabies destroyers.
Sulphur is recommended when psora is active and well-indicated treatments are ineffective as a result because it has an independent antipsoric action in addition to its ability to cause eruptions.
Psorinumis a nosode of scabies, according to Gross, who described it as a result of psora sicca epidermoid effervescence of pityriasis. Other symptoms include oily skin due to excessive sebaceous gland secretion, indolent ulcers that take a long time to heal, urticaria that gets worse with exertion, excrescences that vanish in the summer but reappear in the winter
Scratches that become raw and bleeding at the surface, eczema, psoriasis, scabies, and a recurring tendency to lice. Severe itching that causes disappearance; worse at night, from woolens, and from the heat of the bed. Suppressed eruptions.
Arsenicum albumhas altered skin symptoms associated with internal illnesses or asthma; the skin is dry, scaly, and shriveled; eruptions, when present, are common; they are dry, rough, scaly, and made worse by scratching; uriticaria with burning and restlessness; pustules become malignant; wounds become poisoned and infected easily; gangrene and carbuncles can develop easily; skin peels off in large scales; and there is severe itching after
When subjective symptoms are present, higher potencies work, and when the similarity is more coarse or coarser, lower potencies are helpful. Arsenicum album is closely related to the cancerous diathesis and it acts directly upon the cancerous tissues and cancerous elements.
Rhus toxicodendronhas intense itching, dry, hot, burning skin that feels like it has been pierced by hot needles, itching that spreads throughout the body and is followed by burning when scratched, a propensity for scales to form, and skin that is sensitive to cold air.
Rhus toxicondendron is also recommended in shingles, herpes zoster, pemphigus, and eczema; it has a tendency to form vesicles, usually in the supportive form. It is also very helpful when herpes reactivates in conditions like asthma and dysentery.
Natricum muriaticumhas a noticeable effect on herpetic eruptions, which cause itching in the flexures, raw, red, and inflamed skin, hives that worsen when eating, hair follicle damage, alopecia, and redness of old scars.
Large, red blotches that are all over the body that itch terribly can be relieved by perspiring.
Dolichos pruriensis used to treat skin burns that occur at night while in bed and involve severe itching of the skin without any obvious rash eruptions.